Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Alt. Oscar 2011 Recap and Photos


Alt. Oscars night was this past Sunday so I figured I'd take a minute to recap what people wore (most importantly my costume) and some of the award craziness.

Celebrities walked the red carpet including Tim Burton, Lindsay Lohan with her alcohol monitor anklet, Joaquin Pheonix with his crazy beard and even Marilyn Monroe (Coulda sworn she was a goner). There were plenty of people on hand and in costume rooting for Black Swan to take home the Oscar and the Alty. Tutus and feathers flew all night as the swans battled it out on the stage and dance floor. In the end Natalie got her Oscar and plenty of drunk Black Swans got their Altys.

When I was coming up with my costume for the Alt. Oscars I found the Oscar nominees to be a challenge to dress as. After all dressing as a hiker with one arm is not my idea of glamour. So in the end I went with the much underrated Piranha 3D. Its a riveting thriller about a Spring Break celebration gone wrong with thousands of prehistoric piranha are released from an underground cave after a major earthquake at Lake Havasu. Not to mention its in 3D!

Costume making process: I thought about buying plastic piranhas but time was running out so after a suggestion from my coworker I printed some good piranhas I found online and mounted them on foam core. Then I attached flesh colored elastic so I could wear them around my arms and legs to look like they were biting me. My headpiece was made of a headband, wire and paper fish. Simple yet very effective. I'm my opinion it looked like there was a school of deadly fish dangerously swimming inches above my head.

I spent very little money on this costume which is awesome! My costume hobby can run a little pricey at times. The only items I purchased were the bikini top at H&M for $15, some glue sticks and the wig which I bought at a Halloween sample sale for $2. TWO DOLLARS! I love this wig. Its so full and bouncy. Everything else was in my Kostume closet or craft bin.

The body makeup took some time. I started with an all over white base. I used Ben Nye white color cake makeup and a make up sponge. It took forever! I wish I had an airbrush machine or knew about the guys at Transformational Body Painting before the party. After the white base I added a very light patches of blueish-grey color. Then also with my sponge and red body paint I added the "bites". They started out as blotchy looking red spots. After I let it dry a little, I added purple bruising around most of the bites. Then I came back with Ben Nye Stage Blood and some good old scab blood for the finishing bloody touches. Getting the bites spaced properly and looking random was a challenge too!
I was very pleased with the results and think I make quite an appearance on the red carpet, maybe even getting the under-nominated Piranha 3D some much deserved attention.



Alty's went to The Minion from Despicable Me for Best Animated Character, There was a Best Black Swan, Sexiest Male, Sexiest Female, Best Couple, Best Hot Mess, Most Suicidal Swan and Best Overall. My personal favorite was Woody and Jessie from Toy Story 3. So adorable! There was even a Lifetime Achievement Award which was given to our very own Brite Lite for pushing the limits of wearable light.

Although I myself did not receive an Alty *booo*, I would like to thank the Costume Cultural Society (Kostume Kults upscale persona) and all the fabulous people who came out to party.


This blog post is brought to you by:

1 comment: